We are very blessed in the Orthodox Faith to have so many Saints and Holy Fathers and Mothers (including some very recent ones!) to share their edifying and inspiring words. Their beautiful words uplift and bring such a joy to the soul and they are important and inspiring examples to each of us!
In addition to the bible, reading Orthodox Christian Spiritual books is so important to cultivating spiritual growth. There is a story that was shared by a nun, saying that the devil once complained that he wished for all spiritual books to be burned…because only one spiritual book can undo lifetime of work in one soul.
Allow these books filled with such beautiful words soften your heart and you will be full of an indescribable peace and joy! Below is a list I’m compiling of Orthodox Spiritual books….
- Wounded by Love, by St Porphyrios
- My Life in Christ, by St John of Kronstadt
- St Nektarios: The Saint of our Century, by Sotos Chondropolous
- St Paisios of Mount Athos Spiritual Counsels (Volume I: With Pain and Love for Contemporary Man, Volume II: Spiritual Awakening, Volume III: Spiritual Struggle, Volume IV: Family Life, Volume V: Passions and Virtues, Volume VI: Prayer)
- Tears of Repentance; True Experiences in a Greek Taxi Cab by Athanasios Katigas (here is a sample excerpt: https://throughthegraceofgodorthodoxchristianity.wordpress.com/tears-of-repentance-true-experiences-in-a-greek-taxi-cab-by-athanasios-katigas/)
- Our Thoughts Determine our Lives, by Elder Thaddeus
- The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (Alphabetical Collection)
- The Blessed Surgeon: The Life of Saint Luke Archbishop of Simferopol, by Archdeacon Vasiliy Marushchak
- Thirsting for God In a Land of Shallow Wells, by Matthew Gallatin
- Ladder of Divine Ascent, by St John Climacus.
P.S. If you have read a Orthodox Christian Spiritual Book and would like to see it on this list, please drop me an email and I’ll gladly add it.